Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Wall

About 11 years ago, I decided to run an 8K race in Fair Lakes.  The furthest I'd ever run at that point was 3 miles.  It's hard to believe, but I was really nervous to run a 5 mile race and wasn't sure I could finish.  Almost makes me laugh now just thinking about it.

I got to 3 miles that day and it felt like I couldn't run anymore.  I'd told myself that I had to finish so I stuck it out and about a mile later something happened.  The tired went away, the pain was gone.  I felt like I could run forever.

I talked to my Dad about that experience and he said, "that was The Wall and you broke through it."  That was a big concept for me to grasp.  So, let me get this right.  You are moving along and pushing yourself and all of the sudden it feels like you can't move any more.  You want to quit.  You start doubting your ability and your confidence starts to fade.  But you see the goal you want and you keep going regardless of how much it hurts.  You move past what you Thought your limit was and you discover that The Wall wasn't your limit at all.  That you're capable of more than what you thought and if you keep going you'll get to the finish line.

That was one of my first life lessons running taught me, not THE first.  That story is for another time.


No comments:

Post a Comment