Friday, August 7, 2015

One Foot In Front Of The Other

A few years ago, I ran this Marathon that is tagged as "The World's Toughest Road Marathon".

https://vimeo.com/55475468

That's the video description and video of the course.  Over 7,000 ft. of elevation change in 26 miles and three mountains to run up.

I was intimidated to say the least.  Will I be totally miserable running up these mountains and not be able to finish?  How badly will it hurt?  Will I be able to control my breathing while going uphill?  I talked to a friend about it a few days before the race and he said, "just put one foot in front of the other.  Don't think about the mountain you're climbing, just think about each step and stay calm."

It's easy to look at a big task and be afraid that it's too much.  When you're looking at the bottom of a mountain and thinking, "wow, I have to climb this and two more AND run 26 miles total" it can seem so stressful and overwhelming.  But, what if we just stopped looking at those big mountains and mileage, and just put one foot in front of the other.  I had trained for that run, I was physically ready.  I had put the practice in to be able to complete it.  So, if all prep work is done, then mentally, just take apart the big challenge and complete one step at a time until you finish.

Don't get caught up with the 20 pounds you have to lose or the big project at work you have to complete or the kitchen remodel that has to be done or the house that needs to be cleaned or the promotion at work you want.  Just keep moving to your goals by putting one foot in front of the other.  Don't stop, keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment