Tuesday, August 25, 2015

If The Running Shoe Fits....

I was talking to a friend about running shoes last night.

I'm not convinced when people say "I can't run, my knee, back, ankles, etc, hurt."  Many times, yes, that's the case.  But more often than not, you just haven't found the right shoe.

It can sometimes take three to four shoes before you find the right shoe.  I've tried Nikes, New Balances, Brooks, you name it.  The most expensive new and shiny ones, I've tried.  The cheapest $30 on sale at Kohl's, tried it.  I've tried cross trainers, minimalist, barefoot, trail.  Sometimes certain shoes would give me pains in my legs I hadn't experienced before wearing them.  Sometimes I would notice soreness after running that I would probably attribute to the shoe.  For years I settled on New Balance light weight.  They seemed to be what I needed so I stuck to them.

Until I came across a pair of Asics.  As soon as I put them on my feet I knew.  I bought two pairs of those shoes at Boston Marathon.  My first Asics.  I could have gotten along just fine without discovering these.  My New Balance shoes weren't awful.  They got me through plenty of races, lasted long enough, they were affordable.  But then I came across these Asics and there was such a noticeable difference.  They really fit, a friend of mine said they should "kiss your feet."  And that's what I felt when trying them on.  And running in them felt like my feet were hugged tightly and protected, but not too tight that I couldn't breath, just enough to feel safe but not restricted.  They didn't weigh me down, they have a solid construction, and they've actually lasted longer than other shoes I've had.  And it's Not necessarily because the other shoes were bad shoes, there was just another shoe out there that worked better and made more sense.

So, if the shoe fits, then wear it, but if it kisses your feet, keep it.

No comments:

Post a Comment