Monday, September 16, 2013

Angel Wings Took Me To The Finish Line



    10 Running Feet....and a couple pairs of hind paws.



I ran my 2nd of 5 Marathons for Zachary on Saturday.  A nice 26.2 mile race on C&O Path.  Also happened to be a Boston Marathon Qualifying Course.

I couldn't believe my eyes when it was all said and done either.  Was I really capable of that time?, I thought as I looked down at my Garmin.  Running through the finish line I was in awe.  Amazed that I not only was able to acheive my goal, but I far exceeded my own expectations.

3 months ago, June 15, I ran the 1st of 5 marathons in Philadelphia.  I finished that race in 3:46, which I considered to be a huge victory.  How did I improve my time by 13 minutes? I wondered after the race finished on Saturday.  Something even stranger, which I'm just realizing as I type, I improved my time by 13 minutes from my last race.  I was the 13th Marathoner to cross the finish line and it was my 13th Marathon.  Who ever said 13 was unlucky clearly didn't plan this situation.  (One EXTRA SPECIAL number coincidence.  Zachary's Birthday was March 4...3/4...take a look at the picture next to you....I think there were Angel wings flying me to the finish line). 

The truth is, I know exactly how I finished this race with my best time ever.  A few things.

1)  I trained my butt off.  Running faster, longer runs throughout the week.  Running 55 to 60 miles per week for 5 months.  Running sometimes 3 times a day.

2)  My diet, although sometimes there were failed meals/days, was ridiculously restricted to a ton of robust green vegetables (kale, brussel sprouts, zucchini, mushrooms), chia and flax seeds, soy and fish.  Throw in some wine and dark chocolate for good measure and balance and that was my food life.  Exciting huh?

3)  Having a purpose that went beyond myself.  Running for Zachary's memory and doing this for him and his family has been a powerful inspiration.  More than I expected it to be.  I'm very grateful for this experience and happy that it's just the beginning of 8 months of being able to celebrate his life.  From now until March (well, if I get into Boston Marathon - fingers crossed - then we'll continue into April) I am beyond thrilled to give and receive such positive support and encouragement in so many different ways from so many different people.  This is what makes our world a better place to live and what makes the impossible turn into reality.

NEXT UP?  The Glory Days 5k at Bull Run Park with the 2 sets of smaller running feet, Aidan and Carter.  They will be running their 4th and 2nd 5K races (and the furry feet if they let them in).  There's still space to register.  It's never too late to make a difference in your life, your kids' lives, your community's...you name it.  Come join us! 
http://www.prraces.com/glorydays/

Don't forget, you can donate to support our project too!  Click on the link below to go to our Donation Page. 
http://www.stayclassy.org/fundraise?fcid=261373

Colleen
 



1 comment:

  1. Tears again. You are incredible. Thank you a thousand times over for Remembering my little guy. It's hard to believe he has been gone so long. I wonder about him all the time. Especially when i see Aiden and Kenzy playing, I wonder about Zach and Carter.

    He is 100% there watching us and looking out for those that love him. There are so many times when I sit back and realize that many wonderful things would not have happened without his guidance from above!!

    I'm so proud of you and I so much more excited to learn what a special race this was for you.

    Kenzy and I will run again tomorrow. I am certainly putting my sneakers on not only for my kiddos but also for you.

    ReplyDelete